Air Fryer Baked Potatoes have a crunchy, crispy outside with a fluffy, steaming hot inside and covered in your favorite toppings like sour cream and bacon crumbles! These make for a delicious, fun new way to cook everyone’s favorite side dish!
Air Fryer Baked Potatoes are a super easy method with simple ingredients that pack these potatoes with flavor. One bite into the crispy potato skin, and you may never even go back to baking them in the oven!
Why This Air Fryer Baked Potatoes Recipe Works!
- Choose your potato! I prefer using russets because I think they have the best skin for baked potatoes! Feel free to try using other potatoes you like, such as long whites, Peruvians, or even sweet potatoes!
- Choose your toppings! Make your baked potato exactly the way you like it! Drop in some butter, cover it up with sour cream, or sprinkle on crumbles of bacon!
- Frees up oven space! Baked potatoes in the air fryer free up space in your oven. This helps if you’re baking the main dish or another side in the oven and need the extra room!
- Perfect Crispiness! With the concentrated heat from the air fryer, it helps to crisp the potato skins up to the perfect crunch!
Ingredients For Air Fryer Baked Potatoes
To air fry your own baked potatoes, you’ll need potatoes, extra virgin olive oil, and coarse salt. Once they’ve been sliced open and fluffed up, top your baked potato with your favorite toppings!
We love using butter, bacon crumbles, shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, diced onions, chives, salt, and pepper!
How To Make Baked Potatoes In An Air Fryer
Prepare by preheating the air fryer, then rinse off and dry the potatoes.
Coat the potatoes with olive oil.
Place the potatoes in the air fryer and sprinkle them with salt. Cook them, then flip them over and sprinkle them with more salt.
Cook them again and then remove them from the air fryer.
Slice them open, fluff up the inside of the potatoes, and then top them with your favorite toppings!
Serve these potatoes alongside our Ritz Cracker Chicken!
Can I swap out the olive oil for another oil?
Yes, you can substitute olive oil for vegetable oil, canola oil, or even avocado oil.
How many potatoes can I put in the air fryer at once?
This mostly depends on the size of your air fryer basket and the potatoes. I could cook four at a time for my air fryer and size potatoes.
Why do I need to flip the potatoes halfway through?
Flipping the potatoes halfway through air frying ensures the potatoes will crisp up evenly and cook completely through!
Air Fryer Baked Potatoes
- 4 russet potatoes cleaned and dried
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- Bacon crumbles
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Sour cream
- Preheat the air fryer at 400°F for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, coat the clean and dry potatoes with olive oil, using either a brush or a bowl with your hands.
- Place the potatoes in the air fryer basket and sprinkle with salt.
- Cook at 400°F for 20 minutes, then use tongs to flip the potatoes and sprinkle with more salt.
- Cook for an additional 20 to 25 minutes until an instant-read thermometer reads 200°F.
- Remove from the air fryer, slice open, fluff up, and top with your favorite toppings.
Baked potatoes are perfect between 205 and 215 degrees, the potatoes will continue to cook after removing from the air fryer so that is why I recommend 200.
Do not let these sit in the air fryer after cooking because you don’t want to brown the skin too much.
Vegetable or canola oil may be used instead of olive oil.
There is no need to “prick” the potatoes before cooking!
I use a Cosori 5.8 quart air fryer and can cook 4 good sized potatoes at a time.