These copycat KFC Famous Bowls are perfect for those nights when you can’t push those takeout cravings away! Comfort food made at home in just under 30 minutes!
There’s nothing quite like warm, comforting food to soothe the soul during chilly fall evenings, and these copycat KFC famous bowls definitely prove that quick meals don’t have to sacrifice flavor! Trust me when I say you’ll want this recipe in your weekly dinner rotation. You’ll be dreaming about gravy and cheese for nights on end!
What makes KFC bowls so easy?
With creamy mashed potatoes, delicious chicken gravy, sweet corn, crispy popcorn chicken, and melted shredded cheese, these simple ingredients combine to create a delicious dish. These ingredients can be easily found at almost any grocery store, and some ingredients you might already have on hand!
How do I store and reheat leftovers?
You can store the leftovers (if you don’t eat it all in one night!) separately in the refrigerator. To reheat, you can either microwave each ingredient on its own until warm, and then assemble your bowl, or assemble your bowl and then reheat in the microwave.
KFC Bowl Ingredients
- Garlic powder
- Popcorn chicken
- Shredded cheese
Can I Use A Different Type Of Chicken?
Yes! This recipe calls for popcorn chicken, which can be found in the freezer section of your local grocery store. You can also use chicken strips, whether you make your own or buy them frozen. For a healthier option, you can use chicken breast that isn’t breaded! Just make sure the chicken is fully cooked before topping your bowl with it!
Do I Have To Individually Build The Bowls?
No! I have also made this in a casserole, simply by preheating my oven to 350 Degrees and lightly greasing a casserole dish. Layer the ingredients as you would in an individual serving, and bake until the cheese melts over the top!
How Do I Make KFC Famous Bowls?
STEP ONE: Add peeled and cubed potatoes to a pot of boiling water. Cook until fork tender. Once done, drain the water from the potatoes and add seasonings, milk, and butter. Use a potato masher or a fork to combine until evenly incorporated.
STEP TWO: Cook chicken according to package instructions.
STEP THREE: Place gravy in a microwave-safe dish and microwave until warmed. Repeat steps with drained corn.
STEP FOUR: Assemble the bowls! Add a few scoops of mashed potatoes to a bowl, followed by gravy, corn, chicken, and some cheese. Garnish and enjoy!
Substitutions and Variations
- You may use instant potatoes in place of homemade mashed potatoes. Make them according to package directions.
- Frozen corn or fresh corn on the cob can be used rather than canned corn. For fresh corn, be sure to cut the kernels off the cob.
- Gravy packets can be used instead of jarred gravy.
Copycat KFC Famous Bowls
- Large pot
- Baking sheet
- 5 large Russet potatoes peeled and diced
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter sliced
- ½ cup milk more as needed to reach desired consistency
- 2 cloves garlic finely minced (optional)
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the chicken bowls:
- 1.5 pound bag frozen popcorn chicken cooked
- 18 ounce jar Heinz chicken gravy warmed
- 15.25 ounce can whole kernel corn drained and warmed
- 1 ½ cups shredded cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400 F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil, on stovetop over medium high heat. Add the peeled and cubed potatoes, then cook for about 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are fork tender.
- While the potatoes are cooking, prepare the frozen popcorn chicken. Lay the popcorn chicken out evenly onto the prepared baking sheet. Bake according to the package instructions. Once cooked, remove from oven.
- Once the potatoes are fork tender, strain out the water. Add the butter, milk, minced garlic, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Use a potato masher or a fork to mash the potatoes as smooth or creamy as you like. Mix together until evenly incorporated. Taste and adjust seasonings if needed. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Pour the gravy into a microwave safe bowl and heat in the microwave in 30 second increments, stirring each time, until fully heated through.
- Drain the canned corn and pour the corn into a microwave-safe bowl. Heat in the microwave in 30-second increments, stirring each time, until fully heated through.
- Assemble the bowls by adding a few scoops of mashed potatoes to the bottom and then pouring on the hot gravy. Add a few tablespoons of corn and then top with pieces of popcorn chicken. Garnish with shredded cheese. Enjoy!