Lemon Heaven On Earth Cake is a no-bake dessert with a perfectly tart, sweet flavor made with store-bought ingredients in only 15 minutes!
Welcome in the sunshine and warmer weather with this Lemon Heaven On Earth Cake! This chilled, layered dessert will tantalize your taste buds all summer long with its sweet, tart, lemony flavor!
This minimal prep treat will instantly be your go-to all season long since it’s easy to make and calls for simple ingredients! Bring it to your next BBQ, party, or gathering, and watch it quickly disappear!
All About This Lemon Heaven On Earth Cake
Taste: Sweet, tart lemony flavor meshes with elevated vanilla pudding and delicious bite-sized pieces of angel food cake. Making for a dessert that’s packed with vibrant flavor!
Texture: This light, chilled dessert is filled with chunks of airy, sticky angel food cake and thick, creamy vanilla pudding! Additional texture comes from the fluffy Cool Whip and crunchy almond slivers.
Easy Ingredients For A Tasty Treat
This Lemon Heaven On Earth Cake is proof that you don’t have to spend hours in the kitchen to create an unforgettable dessert! Instead, all you need is an armful of easy store-bought ingredients to create the 4 tasty layers that make up this dessert.
First is the store-bought angel food cake that’s cut up into smaller pieces. If you’d rather, this recipe can be made with homemade angel food cake or a boxed angel food cake mix.
Next is the canned lemon pie filling and vanilla pudding mixture that’s made with instant pudding mix, sour cream, and whole milk. Finishing off this dessert is Cool Whip and almond slivers!
Kitchen Tips For Making Lemon Heaven On Earth Cake
- Cutting – Use a serrated knife in a sawing motion to cut up the angel food into small pieces. Doing so will prevent the cake pieces from getting squished and losing their airy, fluffy texture.
- Thick Layers – To give this dessert thicker layers, you can add an extra half of an angel food cake to it. Extra pie filling can also be spread into the center of the cake; just be careful not to use too much filling as it could cause the dessert to become too sweet or wet.
- More Lemon – For a brighter pop of lemon flavor, make the pudding layer with lemon instant pudding instead of vanilla.
- Chilling – Try to resist the urge to dig into this dessert before it has time to chill! The chill time is when this dessert picks up lots of extra flavor and texture since it allows time for the cake layers to absorb the vanilla and lemon filling.
- Dress It Up – Give this Heaven On Earth Cake a fancy finish by dropping spoonfuls of the filling onto the whipped topping and then swirling the two together using a skewer or knife.
Everyone loves this Lemon Heaven On Earth Cake for its delicious flavor, but you’ll love it a little extra for how easy it is to whip up! After all, everyone can appreciate a yummy dessert that’s also easy to make!
Try A Delicious Variation Of This Heaven On Earth Cake!
- Choose Your Pie Filling – This dessert can be made with any canned pie filling. Great pie fillings to choose from would be tart cherry pie filling, strawberry, raspberry, or even blueberry pie filling!
- Filling Alternative – Swap canned pie filling out for homemade pie filling, jams, or jellies.
- Fresh Fruit – Garnish this cake with your choice of fresh berries! Blueberries or raspberries always go well with lemon-flavored desserts.
- Pudding Flavor – Change this entire dessert by making it with Cheesecake or White Chocolate pudding!
Storage Instructions For This Lemon Dessert
Tightly wrap the dish of leftovers with plastic wrap or transfer them into an airtight container. Afterward, store the leftovers in the fridge and enjoy them for up to 2 days.
Any longer than 2 days, and I find that the cake starts to become a bit soggy!
Lemon Heaven On Earth Cake FAQs
Can The Sour Cream Be Tasted In This Recipe?
No, the taste of the sour cream cannot be tasted in this recipe. This is used for creating a creamier consistency in the vanilla pudding layer.
Is This A Dessert Recipe That Can Be Doubled?
Yes, this recipe can be easily doubled and layered in a 10X15 cake pan to serve a larger crowd! To do so, use a 5.1-ounce packet of instant vanilla pudding mix, 2 cups of whole milk, and 1 1/2 cups of plain Greek yogurt OR sour cream.
You’ll also need two 14-ounce angel food cakes, 32 ounces of lemon pie filling, and 12 ounces of cool whip.
Is This Dessert Hard To Serve?
Since this dessert doesn’t need to be cut with a knife, I find that it’s really easy to serve! Simply use a spatula or a spoon to scoop it out onto plates or bowls.
Can I Make This Lemon Cake Ahead Of Time?
Yes, this lemon dessert is a great make-ahead dish since it actually tastes better once it sets overnight in the fridge. The extra time allows the cake to soak up the creamy vanilla layer as well as the lemon filling resulting in a more flavorful dessert!
Do I Need To Prepare The Packet Of Instant Pudding Mix?
No, do not prepare the instant pudding mix according to the instructions on its package. The powder mix is combined as-is with sour cream and whole milk.
Does This Dessert Freeze Well To Enjoy Later?
I have found that Heaven On Earth cake does not thaw well; therefore, I wouldn’t recommend freezing it.
Lemon Heaven On Earth Cake
- 9×13-inch baking pan
- large mixing bowl
- Cutting Board
- Bread knife
- 1 (3.4oz.) box vanilla instant pudding mix unprepared
- 1½ cups cold whole milk
- 1 cup sour cream vanilla Greek yogurt
- 14 ounce store bought angel food cake divided
- 1 (21 oz.) can lemon pie filling divided
- 8 ounces Cool Whip thawed
- ¼ cup almond slivers
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together 1 (3.4oz.) box vanilla instant pudding mix, 1½ cups cold whole milk, and 1 cup sour cream until smooth, and the mixture begins to thicken. Set aside.1 (3.4oz.) box vanilla instant pudding mix, 1½ cups cold whole milk, 1 cup sour cream
- Cut the 14 ounce store bought angel food cake into 1-inch cubes and then evenly layer half of the cubes into the bottom of the baking pan.14 ounce store bought angel food cake
- Spread about ⅔ of the 1 (21 oz.) can lemon pie filling on top of the angel food cake, then layer the remaining angel food cake over the top of the lemon filling.1 (21 oz.) can lemon pie filling
- Evenly spread the vanilla pudding mixture over the top of the angel food cake layer.
- Then top it with the thawed 8 ounces Cool Whip, spreading it out to fully and evenly cover the pan.8 ounces Cool Whip
- Using a spoon, drop spoonfuls of the remaining lemon pie filling over the cake and swirl it around a bit.1 (21 oz.) can lemon pie filling
- Chill in the refrigerator, uncovered, for 4 to 6 hours or even overnight for a more flavorful and moist cake. Refrigerating it will also help the layers to set. You can tent aluminum foil over the top of the cake if desired.
- Right before serving, sprinkle with ¼ cup almond slivers.¼ cup almond slivers
- How To Store Leftovers: Store leftover cake in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. I find any longer than that, the cake starts to become soggy.
- Can This Cake Be Frozen? In my experience, this Heaven On Earth Cake doesn’t thaw well. Therefore, I would not recommend freezing it.
- How To Make This More Lemony: Try using lemon instant pudding instead of vanilla.
- Can I Make This Heaven On Earth Cake In A Trifle Bowl? Yes, this recipe can be layered in a trifle dish! Doing so will also show off all of the pretty layers this dessert has!
- Do I Prepare The Packet Of Instant Pudding Mix Before Adding It? No, you do not prepare the instant pudding mix according to the instructions on its package. Instead, it is combined with Greek yogurt and whole milk in its powder form.
- Can I Double This Recipe To Serve A Big Crowd? Absolutely! To double the recipe, you’ll combine a 5.1-ounce packet of pudding with 2 cups of whole milk and 1 1/2 cups of sour cream. Greek yogurt can also be replaced with sour cream. You’ll also need two 14-ounce store-bought angel food cakes. As well as a 32-ounce can of lemon pie filling, a 12-ounce container of cool whip, and 3 tablespoons of slivered almonds.