These Sea Salt Chocolate Chip Cookies have the absolute best salted chocolate taste with perfectly gooey centers that everyone will love!
If you love Chocolate Chip Cookies, be sure to also check out my Jumbo Chocolate Chip Cookies that don’t require time to chill or my Peanut Butter Truffle Cookie Bars that are made with a gooey peanut butter truffle filling!
Sea Salt Chocolate Chip cookies are your salty, sweet dream come true! Easy, delicious dough loaded with chocolate chips, slightly under-baked for gooey centers, and then topped with flaked sea salt! What’s not to love?
5 Reasons Why I Love This Recipe!
- Pantry Staple Ingredients! This is a simple recipe that uses just a handful of ingredients that you’re likely to have on hand!
- Salty & Sweet! The perfect combination of salty and sweet is bursting from these cookies, making them wildly addictive!
- Gooey Centers! Cookies that are incredibly soft with gooey centers are always a crowd-pleaser!
- Browned Butter! This is an easy step that really brings the flavor of these cookies to another level! Browning the butter creates a fun, nutty-like flavor that enhances the sweet and salty taste of the overall cookie!
- Enough To Share! I love a recipe that makes enough for me to leave a couple behind at home while still bringing plenty to share with friends and family at potlucks or gatherings!
For this Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe, you’ll use pantry staple ingredients to create cookies that taste like you grabbed them from your local bakery! All you need is:
- Unsalted Butter – Since these cookies are topped with salt I opted for unsalted butter to even the final taste out.
- Brown Sugar – Helps the cookies turn out soft and chewy!
- Granulated Sugar – Adds sweetness while also working to crisp up the cookies from absorbing the moisture in the dough.
- Eggs – Preferable at room temperature.
- Vanilla Extract – Enhances the overall flavor of these cookies!
- Chocolate Chips – For this recipe, I used semi-sweet chocolate chips. You could also trade them out for milk chocolate chips or even any of your favorite chocolate chunks!
- Flour – All-purpose flour is used for this recipe.
- Baking Soda – The leavening agent that helps these cookies slightly rise.
- Flaked Sea Salt – Gives these cookies their salty taste!
How To Make Salted Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Brown the butter over medium heat, stirring constantly until it becomes golden brown. Then let it cool.
- Mix together both sugars and the butter in a large bowl.
- Add in the eggs and vanilla, beating on low until fluffy.
- Mix in the flour and baking soda, slowly. Be careful not to over-mix the cookies or they won’t turn out soft!
- Fold in the chocolate chips. Then cover the bowl and let it chill in the refrigerator.
- Scoop the cookie dough out onto baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Placing a few chocolate chips on top of the balls of dough!
- Bake cookies in the oven at 350 degrees F until the edges are lightly golden. Then sprinkle them with sea salt flakes and allow them to cool to room temperature.
How To Store
Keep the cookies in an airtight container kept at room temperature for up to 5 days. You can also freeze them in Ziploc bags for up to a month.
Can I Chill The Dough Longer Than 30 Minutes?
Yes, you can chill the dough for up to 24 hours. Any longer than that, and it will start to dry out!
Why Did My Cookies Come Out Hard And Dry?
The dough was possibly over-mixed or overcooked. If anything, pull the cookies out of the oven early for the perfect gooey centers!
Can I Freeze The Cookie Dough?
Yes! To do so, portion out the dough after it’s been chilled and place it on baking sheets in the freezer. Once the balls of dough have been frozen, remove them from the baking sheets and place them in a Ziploc bag.
The cookie dough will last up to 3 months in the freezer. To bake, place the frozen dough balls on parchment-lined baking sheets and bake until they’re slightly golden brown around the edges.
These Salted Chocolate Chip Cookies are always quick to disappear no matter the occasion! Check out more of my favorite dessert recipes that you’ll love just as much as this one!
Sea Salt Chocolate Chip Cookies
- ¾ cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 cup brown sugar packed
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 1½ tablespoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon flaked sea salt plus more for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375°F and line a baking pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- Brown the butter in a sauce pan over medium heat. Stir constantly until it turns golden brown. Do NOT leave it on the stove, because it can quickly get burned. Once it is ready, let it cool.
- In a large bowl, add the butter and both sugars. Mix until combined.
- Add the eggs and vanilla. Beat on LOW until light and fluffy.
- Mix in the dry ingredients slowly, until everything comes together. VERY IMPORTANT: Do not over mix or your cookies will not be soft.
- Fold in the chocolate chips using a spatula.
- Cover bowl and chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Use a small cookie scoop to make the balls of dough.
- Place them on the baking pan around 2 inches apart. They really do expand, so keep that in mind.
- Place a couple of chocolate chips onto the tops of the balls of dough, so when they are ready, they will look fantastic!
- Bake for 12 minutes or until the edges look lightly golden. Do not overcook. It is better they are a bit under cooked if it’s the case.
- Sprinkle some sea salt on top of the cookies and let them cool.