Strawberry Cheesecake Balls have a 2-ingredient filling with a white chocolate shell that’s drizzled with melted pink chocolate and finished with sprinkles! The perfect treat for your Valentine!
For another easy dessert that’s also filled with luscious strawberry flavor, check out my Strawberry Heaven On Earth Cake! It takes just 15 minutes to make using store-bought ingredients!
These Strawberry Cake Balls are love at first bite! Their chocolate shell and decadent filling make for a treat that keeps you going back for more!
Nothing says Valentine’s Day like a sweet, strawberry-flavored treat that’s homemade! These Strawberry Cake Balls are sure to please the one you love on February 14th.
Though the chilled strawberry flavor would also be a fun and tasty summer treat too!
Biting Into These Scrumptious Strawberry Cheesecake Balls
Taste: These bite-sized treats combine strawberry flavor from the cake mix and a bit of tanginess from the cream cheese. Together the two are wrapped in a vanilla chocolate coating, making every cake ball totally unforgettable!
Texture: Chocolate-covered strawberry cake balls have a moist, tender filling with a smooth chocolate exterior. Similar to what you’d expect when biting into a truffle.
Dry Cake Mix
This cake ball recipe isn’t actually made with a baked cake that you crumble up and roll into balls. Instead, these strawberry cheesecake balls are made with the powdery, dry cake mix!
To make that possible, the dry cake mix needs to be heat treated. Heat-treating the mix kills off any bacteria, such as E. Coli, that may be lurking in the dry ingredients.
Don’t worry, heat treating it is super quick and simple! All you have to do is spread the mix out onto a baking sheet and bake it for 5 minutes.
You can also heat treat the mix in the microwave for 3 minutes. Just be sure to stir the cake mix every 30 seconds to make sure it heats evenly while also preventing hot spots.
Kitchen & Recipe Tips For Making The Best Strawberry Cheesecake Balls
- Softened Cream Cheese – Make sure to take your cream cheese out of the fridge to set at room temperature before beginning this recipe. We want the cream cheese to be nice and soft. This way, it will beat up easier as well as combine nicely with the cake mix.
- Chill The Dough – Before rolling the cake mixture into balls, it must be refrigerated first. Chilling the dough helps make it way easier to roll the mixture into balls!
- Portioning – For this recipe to yield 20 strawberry cake balls, I used a 1 1/2 tablespoon cookie scoop to portion the dough out. I found that this portioning method made the perfect bite-sized treat!
- Expansion – After the chilled dough is rolled out into balls, it will expand more. Therefore, I suggest allowing the rolled dough balls to set on the baking sheet for 15 minutes before dipping. If the balls get dipped before they’ve had the chance to expand, you may end up with a cracked chocolate coating.
- Melting – I prefer melting the chocolate wafers in a double boiler. I find that this method helps keep the melted wafers at just the right temperature. If you haven’t tried the double boiler method, simply fill a saucepan with about an inch of water. Then place the wafers in a second saucepan and place it on top of the saucepan with water. The steam from the simmering water will heat the saucepan filled with wafers and eventually melt them into the perfect consistency.
How To Store Strawberry Cake Balls
Store these strawberry truffles in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Enjoy them for up to 5 days!
Where Do I Find Cream Cheese Baking Chips?
Cream cheese baking chips can be found in the baking aisle of the grocery store. Look by the other chocolate chips!
How Can I Drizzle The Melted Candy Melts If I Don’t Have A Piping Bag?
No worries if you don’t have a piping bag! You can simply melt the candy melts in microwave-safe bowls. Afterward, carefully transfer the melted chocolate into a Ziploc bag.
Then use scissors to cut a tiny bit of the corner off of one side of the bag. If you don’t have any Ziploc bags, you can also drizzle the melted chocolate using a spoon.
Strawberry Cheesecake Balls
- Medium mixing bowl
- Hand mixer
- Baking tray
- 1 (15.25 oz) box strawberry cake mix I used Betty Crocker
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened to room temperature
- ⅓ cup white chocolate chips roughly chopped
- 20 ounces Ghirardelli white chocolate melting wafers
- ½ cup Wilton pink candy melts
- ½ cup Wilton bright pink candy melts
- Sprinkles optional
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Spread the cake mix onto the prepared baking sheet and bake for 5 minutes. Then remove from the oven and allow to cool completely on a wire rack.1 (15.25 oz) box strawberry cake mix
- While the cake mix cools, place the softened cream cheese in a medium bowl and beat with a hand mixer on medium-high speed until smooth and creamy.8 ounces cream cheese
- Fold the cooled cake mix into the cream cheese a few times with a rubber spatula. Then finish mixing with a hand mixer on medium-high speed until fully combined and you get a dough consistency.
- Fold in the white chocolate chips until evenly combined.⅓ cup white chocolate chips
- Cover the cake mix dough with plastic wrap and allow it to chill in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
- Once chilled, line two baking sheets with parchment paper and use a medium cookie scoop to scoop the dough and drop it onto the baking sheets. Roll each of them into smooth and even balls with your hands. Set aside and allow them to expand for about 15 minutes, otherwise you are more likely to experience cracking of the coating.
- Add the white chocolate melting wafers to a microwave safe bowl and heat at 30 second intervals, stirring between each, until fully melted.20 ounces Ghirardelli white chocolate melting wafers
- Coat the balls one at a time using a fork to fully cover in the melted chocolate. Lift it out and tap the fork gently on the edge of the bowl to remove any excess chocolate from the dough ball, then place the coated balls onto the lined baking sheet.
- Repeat for the rest of the dough balls and space each one 2 inches apart. If topping with sprinkles, add them before the chocolate sets.Sprinkles
- If drizzling with color melting wafers, place the two pink candy melts separately in small microwave safe piping bags and microwave on a low setting until fully melted.½ cup Wilton pink candy melts, ½ cup Wilton bright pink candy melts
- Cut a small piece of the tip of the piping bags and then drizzle onto the remaining already coated cake balls.
- Allow to set completely before serving.
- How To Store Strawberry Cake Balls: Store these strawberry truffles in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Enjoy them for up to 5 days!
- Where Do I Find Cream Cheese Baking Chips? Cream cheese baking chips can be found in the baking aisle of the grocery store. Look by the other chocolate chips!
- How Can I Drizzle The Melted Candy Melts If I Don’t Have A Piping Bag? No worries if you don’t have a piping bag! You can simply melt the candy melts in microwave-safe bowls. Afterward, carefully transfer the melted chocolate into a Ziploc bag. Then use scissors to cut a tiny bit of the corner off of one side of the bag. If you don’t have any Ziploc bags, you can also drizzle the melted chocolate using a spoon.