These Birthday Cake Rice Krispie Treats transform the childhood favorite into a birthday cake-flavored celebration with every bite! Prep a batch of two dozen tasty treats in just 10 minutes!
Birthday parties and other celebrations are about to get a whole lot tastier with these Birthday Cake Rice Krispie Treats! Though, they’re quick and easy enough to make even when there’s nothing exciting going on aside from curing that sweet tooth.
I transformed the classic childhood favorite with minimal ingredients to make the best birthday cake-flavored treats! And the result is deliciously chewy treats with that popular birthday cake taste that has a melted white chocolate finish and colorful sprinkles!
The good news is you get the taste of a cake without turning the oven on to actually bake one!
Birthday Cake Rice Krispie Treats Ingredients
- Salted Butter
- Mini Marshmallows
- Vanilla Frosting
- Vanilla Extract
- Almond Extract
- Rice Krispies Cereal
- White Chocolate Melting Wafers
This birthday cake Rice Krispie treats recipe starts with all the same ingredients as the classic squares. From there, it builds with the addition of vanilla extract, almond extract, sprinkles, and vanilla frosting.
These ingredients transform the treats into the iconic birthday cake flavor that everyone loves! For a fun but optional finish, the birthday cake squares are then covered in a melted white chocolate layer topped with rainbow sprinkles.
Substitutions And Variations For Birthday Cake Rice Krispie Treats
- Salted Butter – Generally, with desserts, you use unsalted butter to be able to have more control of the salty taste the recipe has. However, I prefer to use salted butter for Rice Krispie Treats since most of their deliciousness is found in their salty, buttery taste! However, if unsalted butter is what you had on hand, you can use that instead and then just add in salt as needed to taste.
- Mini Marshmallows – Reserving extra marshmallows out to stir in with the cereal will stud the treats with little surprise pockets of marshmallows! This adds chewier, marshmallowy goodness to them!
- Sprinkles – Since this is a birthday cake dessert, classic birthday sprinkles are a great choice! However, if you’re having a themed birthday party or celebration, feel free to use sprinkles that match your party!
- White Chocolate – Covering the Rice Krispies in melted white chocolate is optional! Though it does add a delicious layer of flavor to the treats, that’s worth trying!
How To Make Birthday Cake Rice Krispie Treats
Step 1: In a large pot, melt the butter. Afterward, add in the marshmallows and stir continuously until the marshmallows have melted.
Step 2: Stir in the vanilla frosting, vanilla extract, and almond extract.
Step 3: Pour in Rice Krispies Cereal and additional mini marshmallows, then stir until evenly coated.
Step 4: Fold in the sprinkles.
Step 5: Transfer the Rice Krispie mixture to the prepared pan and press it gently into the pan.
Step 6: Let the treats cool completely, then remove them from the pan to slice, serve, and enjoy!
Kitchen Tips To Help Make The Best Rice Krispie Treats
- Prepare The Dish – To easily remove the treats, prepare the baking dish with aluminum foil and then lightly spray it with cooking spray. You can even leave extra foil around the edges so that the excess acts as a tab when removing the treats from the pan before slicing.
- Coat Your Hands – I like to press the treat mixture in by hand, so I can get a real feel for how much or how little pressure I’m using. In doing so, I’ve found that lightly coating my hands with non-stick spray allows me to work with the mixture by hand without it sticking to me.
- Pressing – Press the treats gently in. The goal is not to compact them in the pan! Pressing the treats in too hard will result in tough, unpleasant treats.
- Serving – Slice these Rice Krispie Treats right before serving. This will prevent the treats from getting dried out or crispy around the edges.
How To Store Birthday Cake Rice Krispie Treats
Store the sliced-up treats in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Birthday Cake Rice Krispie Treats FAQs
Hard Rice Krispie treats happen if the melted marshmallow mixture is cooked for too long or if the treats were pressed too hard into the pan.
Yes, these birthday cake treats can be made up to 1 day in advance. This makes for easier party prep!
No, they are not made with a dry cake mix. The birthday cake flavor comes from ingredients such as vanilla frosting, almond extract, vanilla extract, and white chocolate melting wafers.
This recipe has not been tested with homemade frosting. I opted for storebought to keep this a quick and easy recipe with minimal mess. Storebought frosting contains flavors and stabilizers that homemade frosting does not, so I can’t guarantee a homemade frosting will work.
Birthday Cake Rice Krispies Treats
- 8 tablespoons salted butter
- 10 cups mini marshmallows divided
- ½ cup vanilla frosting we use store bought
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- 9 cups Rice Krispies Cereal
- 20 ounces white chocolate melting wafers 2 bags, optional
- Line a 9×13-inch baking dish with aluminum foil and spray with cooking spray and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a large pot, once the butter has melted, add in 8 cups of the marshmallows and stir continuously with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula until the marshmallows have melted.
- Add in the cereal, vanilla, and the remaining 2 cups of marshmallows and stir until the cereal is evenly coated.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish, spray your hands with non-stick spray and gently press the mixture into the pan, don’t press down too hard or you’ll end up with hard treats.
- Allow the treats to cool for about 20 minutes before removing from the pan and slicing into 24 pieces.