Rotel Dip is a party-pleasing appetizer that’s packed with flavor using only 6 ingredients and is made on the stovetop in just 20 minutes! Enjoy this creamy queso dip with tortilla chips and fresh vegetables!
Grab your favorite tortilla chips and scoop up a bite full of this Rotel Dip! This creamy, cheesy queso dip is packed with mouthwatering flavor that will impress not only your taste buds but your friends and family as well!
This Rotel Cheese Dip is a budget-friendly appetizer that comes together in just 20 minutes yet can feed a large crowd! Making it the perfect game day snack, party appetizer, or savory weekend treat as you unwind from the week.
Devouring A Scoop Of Rotel Dip
Taste: Ground beef seasoned with salt, pepper, and chili powder combined with flavorful Rotel tomatoes and zesty chiles. This mixture is then covered in melted Velveeta, creating a cheesy dip that’s packed with mouthwatering flavor!
Texture: Creamy, melty Velveeta cheese smothers tender chunks of ground beef and diced tomatoes. Each scoop of dip covers your chips and vegetables with a satisfying texture AND taste!
Rotel Dip Ingredients
- Ground Beef
- Chili Powder
- Velveeta Cheese
I’d recommend using lean ground beef in this Rotel Dip Recipe. This will give you the best flavor of beef with a tender texture without producing too much excess grease.
However, you will still want to drain off any bit of excess grease from the pan!
As for the Velveeta, make sure to grab a 16oz block of the original Velveeta. Though for a fun variation, you could also make this dip with Queso Blanco Velveeta.
What Is Rotel?
A can of Rotel tomatoes combines a savory mixture of spices with diced, vine-ripened tomatoes and green chilies. Rotel is used in dip recipes such as this one, homemade soups, sauces, and even casseroles.
Ro-Tel also comes in different levels of spice, original, mild, or hot. This allows you control over how much spice you want in your recipes!
How To Make Rotel Dip Step-By-Step Instructions
Step 1: Brown the ground beef in a large skillet over medium-high heat until there isn’t any pink. Afterward, drain the excess grease.
Step 2: Stir in the chili powder, salt, and pepper.
Step 3: Reduce the heat to medium, then add the cubed Velveeta cheese and Rotel tomatoes with liquid into the skillet. Cook until the cheese has fully melted, and then remove it from the heat.
Step 4: Serve warm right in the skillet or transfer the dip into a serving bowl. Enjoy the warm Rotel dip with tortilla chips or fresh vegetables!
How To Serve Rotel Dip
This cheesy dip is best served right off the stovetop when it’s hot and deliciously melty! You can serve it right in the skillet with a trivet underneath it or transfer the finished dip into a fun serving bowl.
Pair this cheesy appetizer with tasty dippers! We love using:
- Tortilla Chips
- Fresh vegetables such as carrot sticks, celery, sliced peppers, cauliflower, or broccoli
- Soft or hard pretzels
- Crackers like Town House Flatbread, Toasteds Buttercrisp, Triscuits, or even Wheat Thins
- Slices of baguette
To store this Rotel Dip, transfer it into an airtight container once it has completely cooled. You could also leave it right in the serving bowl and tightly wrap it with tin foil or plastic wrap.
Store the covered dip in the fridge to eat within 3 days. Once it’s been stored, you’ll want to reheat the leftovers on the stovetop over medium heat until the cheese has melted again.
Crock Pot Rotel Dip Instructions
This dip also makes a great slow-cooker appetizer! This allows it to stay warm, creamy, and delicious all party long.
To make Rotel Dip in the crockpot, brown the ground beef on the stovetop until it’s no longer pink. Then drain out the excess grease and stir in the chili powder, salt, and pepper.
Afterward, transfer the seasoned ground beef into the slow cooker. Top it with the cubed-up Velveeta cheese and Rotel tomatoes.
Cook on low or high heat just until the cheese has melted. Thoroughly stir the queso dip together and then switch the slow cooker to warm.
Substitutions And Variations For Rotel Dip
- Meat – Pack more flavor into this dip by making Rotel Sausage Dip with spicy sausage instead of ground beef. You can also use ground turkey, ground chicken, or any flavor of ground sausage.
- Rotel – This dip can be made with different flavors of Rotel. Original, mild, or hot flavors would all be delicious in this recipe.
- Velveeta – Velveeta can be substituted for cheddar cheese.
- Creamier – Mix in a little cream cheese to make the dip a bit creamier.
- Spice It Up – Add in diced jalapenos for a kick of heat!
Rotel Dip FAQS
For this Rotel Dip Recipe, no do not drain the liquid from the can. This liquid is important in creating the ideal consistency for this dip.
As this dip sets out at parties and gatherings, it does tend to stiffen up a bit. To prevent this, make and serve it right from a crockpot that’s turned to warm.
If that’s not an option, you can reheat it periodically during the party on the stovetop, in the oven, or in the microwave. Just be sure your serving dish is in a heat-safe container!
Yes, Rotel dip can be made without Velveeta. To do so, replaced the Velveeta with a different cheese, such as cheddar. You just may need to add a little liquid if it comes out too thick.
You can also add cream cheese to make it a little creamier!
You can enjoy this dip with your choice of fresh vegetables, pretzels, crackers, or even a sturdy type of bread such as a baguette.
Rotel Dip can be reheated on the stovetop or in the oven. You can also transfer the dip into a crockpot to heat and then keep warm while you enjoy the leftovers!
- Large skillet
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon salt plus more to taste
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper plus more to taste
- 16 ounces Velveeta cheese cubed
- 1 (10 oz.) can Rotel with green chilies undrained
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook 1 pound lean ground beef until browned. Drain any excess grease.
- Add ½ teaspoon chili powder, ½ teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon ground black pepper and stir to season the meat.
- Reduce the heat to medium and then add the cubed 16 ounces Velveeta cheese and 1 (10 oz.) can Rotel with green chilies with the liquid. Cook and stir for 5 to 10 minutes until the cheese has fully melted. Remove from the heat.
- Serve fresh with a side of tortilla chips or fresh veggies. You can serve it in the skillet with a trivet underneath or transfer the dip into a serving bowl.